Setting up your Root Directory and starting your Directory Tree are the first steps to using Vyträd.
Choose the location of the Root Directory on your computer. Since directory and file name length limits can be an issue, especially for large family trees, you want to minimize the path length to your Root Directory. Place the Root Directory as close to your computer’s Root Directory (usually C:) as you can. (But don’t use the C:\ drive as your VyTräd Root Directory.) Also, your method of backing up your data may influence the location of your Root Directory. For example, if you use an online storage service (such as DropBox) for backing up and sharing files, you may want to use that directory as the location for your VyTräd directories.
To select your root Directory, click the Root button. Select a Directory from the Dialog and you are ready to go.
If this button is not visible, find the Down Arrow and click that to display additional buttons.
Import your tree
If you have a family tree built in any of the mainstream genealogy software products that can export a GedCom 5.5 file, you can create the VyTräd directory structure by importing information from an exported Gedcom 5.5 file. Click the Import button to start your import. See more information about importing family trees.
Build from scratch
If you are starting from scratch, you will first need to create the Root Individual’s directory.
- Choose the Root Directory in the Directory List.
- Using the Directory Menu, Click Add Directory. Enter the Root Individual’s name for the new directory name. Click OK and the Directory is added.
- Then add directories to the Root Individual’s directory to store documents for known family members and additional generations as your research proceeds.
Once your VyTräd directory structure is built, you can move your existing family history documents into the new directories by following these steps.
- Open the VyTräd program twice.
- With the first instance of VyTräd, navigate to the directory in your old filing system where the existing files you want to copy are located. Open that directory.
- With the second instance of VyTräd, navigate to the corresponding directory in the VyTräd Directory Tree. Open that directory.
- Copy your files from the old directory and paste them into the VyTräd directory.
- It is best to copy files rather than move files so that the original files serve as a backup until you have everything organized the way you want it in VyTräd.
Speaking of Backing Up Files, A reminder: You are responsible for backing up your files. Currently, there are not ways to delete files or delete directories in VyTräd. VyTräd and Lagom Software do not assume any responsibility for lost or damaged files due to any cause.