1. Is there a limit to the number of generations that can be placed in VyTräd’s directory tree?
No – the program manages path and file name length limits behind the scenes so that there is no limit to the number of generations that can be handled. There is a practical limit to the number of directories that is dependent on your computer’s hardware, memory and operating system limits. Because of this, VyTräd provides options that let you define how many directories are created during an import of a large family tree. You can import the tree in multiple ways to determine what your computer can handle. Before you add your digital documents, the directory structure can be removed and rebuilt as you see fit.
2. Does VyTräd handle duplicate families (pedigree collapse)?
Yes – duplicate families can be linked in VyTräd so that documents for the family are stored in one directory with the other directories for the family included in the tree. Duplicate families in an imported Family Tree are automatically linked. Some of the import options come into play here regarding the number of directories made. You can also link duplicate families as you add to your family tree using the tools available in the program.
3. Is there a way to delete or rename directories or files directly through VyTräd?
No – the program does not provide any tools for deletion or renaming of either directories or files. The only way to do this is to open directories in Windows (or File) Explorer and use tools available there. Directories and files that are used by VyTräd to manage your family tree should not be deleted, renamed or moved. You should employ a reliable backup system to ensure that you can recover your information if required.
4. Is there a way to export information from VyTräd to my main genealogy software such as Family Tree Maker or Legacy?
No – no such capability exists and it is not likely to be added.
5. How can I share my VyTräd Family Tree with other family members?
There are two possible ways at the present time. First, if you use an online file sharing and backup system, you can place your directory tree there for others to access. Family members or collaborators can download and install the program to view your files. The other method is the USB memory stick pass-around. In the future, if there is interest and resources available to accomplish it, an on-line version of the program with cloud data storage and website access to your files is possible.
6. Can I run VyTräd on a Mac?
Yes – but you will need to use Windows emulation software since VyTräd is a Windows desktop application.
A better option is in development using porting software to allow the current VyTräd program to operate within a wrapper program on the Mac OS. This method will require purchase of the porting software but will be significantly less expensive (and easier to use) than Windows emulation which requires purchase of a Windows License. This method will be available soon!
7. Can I use VyTräd to view other files on my computer?
Yes – you can choose any directory on your computer (except the C:\ drive) to be the Root Directory. All files within that directory and its sub-directories will be accessible to viewing using VyTräd. If you choose the C:\ drive, since the program analyzes all sub-directories of the chosen root directory, this may cause the program to lock up.
8. What is the best way to move my existing files into the VyTräd directory system?
Once your VyTräd directory structure is built, you can move existing family history documents from your current filing system into the new VyTräd directories by following these steps.
- Open the VyTräd program twice.
- With the first instance, choose your old directory structure for your existing documents as the Root Directory.
- With the second instance, choose the new VyTräd directory tree location as your Root Directory.
- With the first instance of VyTräd, navigate to the source directory in your old system where the files you want to copy are located. Open that directory.
- With the second instance of VyTräd, navigate to the corresponding destination directory in the VyTräd system. Open that directory.
- Copy your files from the source directory and paste them into the VyTräd destination directory. It is recommended that you copy files to provide a temporary backup until you can confirm that all files are placed into the correct destination directories.
There is no automated method for moving files at this time.